Building record 0104900000 - ST JAMES' CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1116023: CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St James and shrunken Medieval village earthworks at Aston Abbotts
- SHINE: Aston Abbotts medieval shrunken settlement earthworks
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1865-1866, 15th Century to 19th Century - 1400 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0027 m Width 0007
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
CONSISTS OF NAVE, CHANCEL, OBLONG EMBATTLED W TOWER WITH 5 BELLS. S PORCH. S DOOR ANCIENT VERY NARROW UNDER SEMICIRCULAR ARCH. N DOOR BLOCKED (FURTHER DETAIL) (B1-2). PHOTO OF OLD CHURCH (B3). W TOWER C15-C16, REST REBUILT 1865-6 BY G E STREET. CHANCEL HAS SOME RESET MASONRY (B4-6). AT NGR (B7).
Grade II+. Parish church. W. tower is late C15 - early C16, remainder rebuilt 1865-6 by G.E. Street. Rubble stone, the tower with roughly dressed blocks. Tiled roofs with decorative ridges and stone coped gables. Tower, nave, S. porch, chancel, vestry. Tower has square stair turret at S.E. corner, diagonal buttresses, restored battlemented parapet and worn plinth. Bell chamber has paired openings to W. and E., and single lights to N., and S. W. side has door and 3-light traceried window. All tower openings have 4-centred heads. Remainder is in Decorated style with traceried windows. Nave has 2 3-light windows to N. and 3 2-light windows to S. S. porch is steeply gabled with 2-centred arch. Chancel has one bay of 2-light windows and 3-light window to E., all with some re-set old masonry. Lowside window to S. has pair of cusped lancets. Interior: triple chamfered tower arch, simple chamfered chancel arch. Nave has C19 arch-braced collar and king-post roof. Restored C15 piscina and octagonal font. Chest dated 1695. Other fittings C19. RCHM II p.56 (B6).
- <1>SBC7747 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP308-309.
- <2>SBC14267 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P656.
- <3>SBC8281 Bibliographic reference: MAY C 1862 PHOTOGRAPHIC VIEWS OF THE CHURCHES....I N THE DIOCESE OF OXFORD.
- <4>SBC15526 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 P330.
- <5>SBC12991 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 P56.
- <6>SBC19252 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Aylesbury Vale District: Parishes of Aston Abbotts &C. p1.
- <7>SBC10481 Map: OS 1980 1:2500 MAP.
|Grid reference||SP 84738 20238 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON ABBOTTS, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13592)
Record last edited
Aug 3 2017 4:58PM