Monument record 0438203000 - Butlers Court
- None recorded
Type and Period (4)
- (Former Type) COUNTRY HOUSE (Built 1891, 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) MILITARY HOSPITAL (Modern - 1939 AD? to 1946 AD)
- (Former Type) LABORATORY (Modern - 1956 AD to 1999 AD?)
- (Former Type) OFFICE (Modern - 1956 AD to 1999 AD?)
Country house built in 1891 for Lord Grenfell, with ancillary buildings and kitchen garden to the north and west of the house, and a lodge and tree-lined drive to the southeast. The house was enlarged in 1934. The building was used as a hospital for the Free French Navy during WWII, afterwards remaining empty for 10 years and becoming derelict. In 1956 Wiggins Teape & Company acquired the site and converted it into a research centre and laboratories. Geotechnical sampling carried out in April 2008 showed made ground deposits 0.08m - 1.6m thick above natural geology across much of the site. See report for detail (B9).
- <9>SBC23364 Unpublished document: CgMs Consulting. 2009. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment: Land at Butlers Court, Wattleton Road, Beaconsfield.
- <10>SBC19612 Bibliographic reference: Beaconsfiled and District Historical Society. 1983. The History Of Beaconsfield. p76 & 2 plates between pp80 & 81.
|Grid reference||SU 93881 90228 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BEACONSFIELD, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Geotechnical sampling (EBC17171)
Record last edited
Mar 19 2009 4:28PM