Monument record 0632101000 - Taplow Hillfort: Late Bronze Age hillfort
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- HILLFORT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- MULTIVALLATE HILLFORT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
The earliest palisade at Taplow Court was probably erected early in the Late Bronze Age (c. 1130-930 cal BC). The construction of this palisade seems to have marked the beginning of a complex sequence of defences which extended over a period of perhaps as much as 300 years. The earliest palisade may have been formed from two parallel post-holed rows. They were probably replaced by an adjacent palisade within a foundation trench, which may have been earlier than or contemporary with a V-profile ditch. The post-hole rows within the hillfort may have been a long-lived internal boundary fence. There is little evidence for activity after the 9th century cal BC, although pottery dating from 860-850 cal BC was found in the sealing layer in the ditch (B3).
- ---SBC20136 Photograph: Sandy Kidd (BCC). 1999. Photographs taken during Oxford Archaeology's Open Day at Taplow Hill Fort. 35mm. Print. 3in x 5in.
- ---SBC20137 Photograph: Sandy Kidd. 1999. Colour and B/W photograhs taken of Oxford Archaeology's area excavation of Taplow Hillfort. 35mm. 3in x 5in.
- <1>SBC20135 Article in serial: Tim Allen & Hugo Lamdin-Whymark. 2001. 'The Taplow Hillfort', in Current Archaeology 175. 175.
- <2>SBC22435 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2005. Taplow Court (Phase 2), Taplow: Archaeological Evaluation Report.
- <3>SBC22946 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Taplow Court, Buckinghamshire: Draft Publication Report. p 55.
- <4>SBC22947 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 1998. Taplow Court, Taplow, Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||SU 90653 82378 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Taplow Hillfort: Late Bronze Age Ditch (Monument) (0632101001)
- Parent of: Taplow Hillfort: Late Bronze Age Fence Lines (Monument) (0632101003)
- Parent of: Taplow Hillfort: Late Bronze Age round-houses (Monument) (0632101004)
- Parent of: Taplow Hillfort: Palisade (Monument) (0632101002)
- Part of: Taplow Hillfort (Monument) (0632100000)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Area excavation of hillfort at Taplow Court (EBC16343)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (Ref: TAPC 05) (EBC16605)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching at Taplow Court (EBC16342)
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 10:55AM