Monument record 0942200000 - Black Park Country Park
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- (Former Type) ORDNANCE STORE (Modern - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Site of Anti-Aircraft Command Intermediate Ammunition Depot, constructed between 1939 and 1941, originally comprising around 100 buildings, grouped in 24 clusters and along the entry and exit roads. Recorded by Fortress Study Group as part of CBA's Defence of Britain project. Described as in fair condition during site visit on 3rd December 1995: 'A network of roads is the only remains on the ground now. Roads are on average 10 feet wide, white painted rings are still visible on trees alongside roads.' Documentary sources include various 1939-44 War diaries (see report for detail)(B1).
Depot shown on contemporary War Ministry map, and on late 1950s or early 1960s National Grid 6-inch OS Provisional Edition map (B2-3).
A prefabricated building, probably part of the installation survives near the Uxbridge Road (B4).
Piles of post-war demolition debris scattered around woods in vicinity, in many cases debris used to backfill ?extraction pits. Some upstanding remains still visible, including a possible light Anti-Aircraft battery (B5).
In 1955-56 the white building pictured was the home of the Depot Foreman (civilian). The only military staff there Sgt and the Depot OC (Capt). All others were civilian. The Depot contained Anti Aircraft ammunition left from WWII and during my latter months there it was being slowly emptied (Pers comms) (B6).
- <1>SBC22299 Digital archive: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database. Anti-invasion record ID 1701.
- <2>SBC22619 Map: War Ministry. 1940s. 1940s War Ministry map of ordnance depot at Black Park.
- <3>SBC22620 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1955-62. Provisional edition 6-inch National Grid OS map (sheet TQ 08 SW). Quarter sheet. 1:10,560.
- <4>SBC22621 Unpublished document: Lesley Howes. 2002. Langley Park: Archaeological Resource Survey and Action Programme. p35,fig HP7, plates 33-34.
- <5>SBC22651 Verbal communication: Andrew Fowler, David Radford and Julia Wise (BCC). 2006. Pers Comm following site visit, January 2006.
- <6>SBC25124 Verbal communication: 2019. Feedback through UBP.
|Grid reference||TQ 00923 82986 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||WEXHAM, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2019 9:40AM