Monument record 0941901000 - 60m NE of Gallows Bridge
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- BOMBING DECOY? (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- DECOY SITE SHELTER (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
WWII decoy shelter recorded as part of Defence of Britain project. Condition recorded as good (date of visit unrecorded). No further information (B1).
Visible on APs and OS MasterMap at NGR.
In 1940 a dummy airfield was set up at Grendon Underwood on the east side of the Broadway, at the junction with the A41. Designated as a 'Q' site for the airfield at Bicester, it was on the most common flightpath for enemy aircraft. Mock-ups of aircraft were positioned permanently in the field and lights resembling landing strips were illuminated during enemy incursions. Anti-aircraft guns were also stationed locally. The only sign of the airfield now  is the remains of two shelters used by site personnel. [Photo, list of bombs exploded in the parish in 1940, and further details of decoy airfields](B2).
- ---SBC22607 Aerial Photograph: Cartographical Services (Southampton) Ltd. 1976. 1976 Cartographical Services vertial AP. SP67101960. Yes.
- ---SBC22608 Aerial Photograph: RAF 82 Squadron. 1947. 1947 RAF vertial AP. SP67051920. Yes.
- ---SBC22609 Aerial Photograph: RAF 82 Squadron. 1947. 1947 RAF vertial AP. SP67101985. Yes.
- <1>SBC22299 Digital archive: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database. Non Anti-invasion Record ID: 5639.
- <2>SBC20141 Bibliographic reference: Barry Houghton. 2000. Images of Grendon Underwood and Kingswood. p145.
|Grid reference||SP 67029 19624 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||GRENDON UNDERWOOD, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2017 7:43PM