Monument record 0935600000 - Chandlers Hill
- Planning Notification Area: Saxon settlement and boundary ditch partly excavated in advance of cabling works
Type and Period (1)
- ANTI AIRCRAFT BATTERY (Demolished 1955?, Modern - 1940 AD? to 1955 AD?)
Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery recorded by A J Priestley of the Fortress Study Group in November 1995. Condition: bad. 'Approx 13 bases for huts scattered in area of rough ground along roadside hedge with a track through centre. The next field is on top of hill; no remains visible, but presumably was the site of the gun emplacements. The area is now planted with trees'. Battery was part of the Slough Gun Defended Area. See Defence of Britain database record for list of references in War Diaries (B1).
Almost certainly duplicated in Defence of Britain Non-anti Invasion database (record 2194). Recorded as Anti-Aircraft Battery SM8 (B2).
Site clearly visible on 1955, 1965 vertical APs and on 1980 oblique AP. ?Guardhouse, accommodation huts, 2 of original 4 gun emplacements, command post, gun store and ?magazine visible on 1955 AP, though site apparently in process of being dismantled. General layout of accomodation site still visible on 1965 AP, with gun emplacements to west fenced off. 1980 AP shows accomodation site and fenced-off gun emplacements overgrown with scrub (B3).
Details of battery plotted from APs by Air Photo Services Ltd. A magnetometer survey by Archaeological Surveys Ltd along the footprint of a proposed cable route identified a widespread zone of magnetic debris and ferrous objects and material that may be associated with the former WWII anti aircraft battery. See report for detail (B4).
- ---SBC21578 Aerial Photograph: RCHM (NMR). 1980. 1980 RCHM (NMR) Oblique AP. TQ035835. Yes.
- ---SBC22476 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1955. 1955 RAF vertical AP. TQ03408330. Yes.
- ---SBC22477 Aerial Photograph: BKS Surveys Ltd. 1965. 1965 BKS vertical AP. TQ03708335. Yes.
- <1>SBC22299 Digital archive: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database. Anti-Invasion Record ID:S0001702.
- <2>SBC22299 Digital archive: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database. Non-anti Invasion Record 2194.
- <3>SBC22475 Verbal communication: Julia Wise. 2005. Wise J (BCC) pers comm November 2005 (from vertical & oblique APs).
- <4>SBC23672 Unpublished document: Archaeology & Planning Solutions. 2009. Iver to Slough 132Kv Cable Route, Chandlers Hill: Archaeological Assessment.
- <5>SBC25016 Unpublished document: Foundations Archaeology. 2018. Iver - Slough 132kV Cable Route: Archaeological Mitigation: Post Excavation Assessment.
- <6>SBC25359 Digital archive: UK Pillbox Study Group. 2020. UK Pillbox Study Group - Database of Modern Defence Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred TQ 03489 83325 (266m by 281m) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||IVER, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2020 12:28PM