Building record 0858500000 - FORMER OVERSTONE SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET, WING
- None recorded
Type and Period (4)
- (Former Type) INFANT SCHOOL (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) JUNIOR SCHOOL (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) CHURCH SCHOOL (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) TEACHERS HOUSE (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
The school, erected in 1850, by Lord Overstone, is a handsome structure of white brick with Bath stone dressings, in the Elizabethan style of architecture. It includes a residence for the teachers. On the south gable is a bell-cote and bell. The school rooms are large, and well lighted and ventilated. About 50 boys and 30 girls, attend daily (B1).
Kelly's Directory of 1877 lists a Parochial School for boys, girls and infants built by Lord Overstone in 1850. James Cross was the master, Mis Martha Richardson was the mistress and Miss Annie Harroway was responsible for the infants (B3). In 1887 Kelly's describes the school as being for 300 children. The average attendance was 70 boys, 85 girls and 150 infants. Henry Painter was the master, Mrs Ellen Allder was the mistress and Misses Margaret Neal and Lousia Cave were responsible for the infants (B4). In 1891 Kelly's gives the average attendance as 80 boys, 88 girls and 130 infants. Another wing for 80 boys was added during the incumberance of the then vicar Rev Lewis H Loyd. Henry Painter was still the master, Mrs Ellen Allder the mistress and with Miss Lousia Cave responsible for the infants (B5). In 1895 Kelly's describes the school as having been enlarged between 1885-90. The average attendance was 108 boys, 110 girls and 130 infants. William Peters Paddock A.C.P. was the master, Mrs Ellen Allder was still the mistress and Miss Nellie Woods was responsible for the infants (B6). In 1899 Kelly's describes the school as having been enlarged again at the cost of £860 in 1897. The average attendance was 115 boys, 130 girls and 110 infants. Arthur W Molineux was the master and Mrs Ellen Allder was still the mistress (B7).
County architect's drawings of the school buildings dated Sept 1922, April 24 and May 1928 (B8).
School buildings demolished in December 1997. Remains of brick foundations, walls, a cellar and wells recorded by Northamptonshire Archaeology in December 1997 during evaluation trial trenching and subsequent excavation in May and June 1999 (B10-14).
- <1>SBC19727 Bibliographic reference: James Sheahan. 1862. History and Topography of Buckinghamshire. p787.
- <2>SBC19664 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner & Elizabeth Williamson. 1994. The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. p752.
- <3>SBC19841 Bibliographic reference: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1877. KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BUCKS 1877. pp860.
- <4>SBC7057 Bibliographic reference: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1887. KELLYS DIRECTORY OF BUCKS 1887. pp457.
- <5>SBC19842 Bibliographic reference: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1891. KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BUCKS 1891. pp463.
- <6>SBC7023 Bibliographic reference: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1895. KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BUCKS 1895. pp178-9.
- <7>SBC19843 Bibliographic reference: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1899. KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BUCIKINGHAMSHIRE 1899. pp187.
- <8>SBC22400 Graphic material: C H Riley (County Architect). 1922-1928. County Architect's drawings of Overstone School buildings, Wing.
- <9>SBC22401 Photograph: E Taylor. 1997. Photograph of gable end of school building showing original condition of brickwork. Photo. print.
- <10>SBC19204 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 1997. The Old Victorian School, Wing: Archaeological Evaluation.
- <11>SBC19846 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1998. South Midlands Archaeology 28, 1998. 28. p23.
- <12>SBC19844 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 1999. Victorian School, Wing, Buckinghamshire: Archaeologial Recording Action 1999.
- <13>SBC22390 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2005. Excavation of a Late Saxon - Medieval Cemetery At the site of the Former Victorian School, Wing May-June 1999. pp5,12 Fig 10.
- <14>SBC23351 Article in serial: Mark Holmes & Andy Chapman (editor). 2008. 'A Middle- Late Saxon and Medieval Cemetery at Wing Church', in Recs of Bucks 48 pp61-123. Vol 48. p102.
|Grid reference||SP 88061 22545 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||WING, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (EBC16168)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation (EBC16169)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2009 5:09PM