Monument record 0847800000 - Silverstone Airfield
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- MILITARY AIRFIELD (Modern - 1943 AD to 1946 AD)
- RACING CIRCUIT (Modern to 21st Century - 1948 AD to 2099 AD)
Silverstone airfield is partly in Buckinghamshire and partly in Northamptonshire.
Silverstone was opened on 20 March 1943 and in April Upwood's 17 OTU moved here. They were mainly engaged with leaflet dropping sorties over France until August 1944. 17 OTU moved to North Luffenham in November 1946 and Silverstone was put into Care and Maintenance, and sold in 1947. In 1948 the first RAC Grand Prix was run here and in May 1949 the first British Grand Prix. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the British Grand Prix in May 1950 and drove along the perimeter track/racing track. Names of some of the early drivers included Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, Froilan Gonzales and Guiseppe Farina (B1).
Air Ministry site plan (B2).
- ---SBC22353 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. 1947 RAF vertical APs.
- ---SBC22354 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. 1946 RAF vertical APs.
- ---SBC22355 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. 1947 RAF vertical AP.
- ---SBC22356 Aerial Photograph: Cambridge Committee for Aerial Photography. 1985. 1985 Bucks County Survey vertical APs.
- <1>SBC22307 Bibliographic reference: Michael J F Bowyer. 1983. Action Stations: 6. Military airfields of the Cotswolds and the Cental Midlands. No. 6.
- <2>SBC22567 Graphic material: Air Ministry (RAF). 1945. RAF Silverstone record site plan. Drawing no. missing from photocopy.
|Grid reference||SP 67637 41935 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||LILLINGSTONE DAYRELL, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||LUFFIELD ABBEY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 13 2014 10:59AM