Monument record 0840200000 - Woodlands Roundabout, Aston Clinton Bypass
- Planning Notification Area: Early Iron Age farmstead or small settlement found by watching brief
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC? to 401 BC)
Early Iron Age settlement (site A) found by RPS during watching brief on topsoil stripping for construction of the Aston Clinton Bypass. Pits, a ditch, a 4-post structure and a possible roundhouse were excavated. One of the pits contained a human skull, whilst pits within the roundhouse contained unusual assemblages of pottery, possibly ritual deposits. One or two possible late Bronze Age features may indicate earlier activity at the site (B1). NGR to approximate centre.
See excavcation report for details (B3).
- <1>SBC20980 Unpublished document: Highways Agency. Undated. The Archaeology of the A41 Aston Clinton Bypass.
- <2>SBC22424 Unpublished document: RPS Planning Transport and Environment. 2005. Archaeological Investigations for the A41 Aston Clinton Bypass: Analysis of Excavations at the Woodlands Roundabout, Lower Icknield Way and Tring Hill Sites Including Watching Brief Results.
- <3>SBC23399 Bibliographic reference: Robert Masefield et al. 2008. Prehistoric and Later Settlement and Landscape from Chiltern Scarp to Aylesbury Vale: The Archaeology of the Aston Clinton Bypass.
|Grid reference||SP 86002 12785 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON TURVILLE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||ASTON CLINTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (EBC16521)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2018 8:44AM