Monument record 0838200000 - NE of Norduck Farm
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
German prisoner of war camp (B1).
Described by the International Red Cross as a German Working Camp (Camp no.268) (B2).
Visible on 1947 and 1948 RAF vertical APs. 2 of the original buildings appear to have survived.
POW Camp 268 was established in the huts (left in 1945), and held about 250 prisoners. The prisoners constructed an ‘opera house’ or theatre for entertainment (B3).
A booklet of drawings of the camp stage sets for various productions is held in Aylesbury Record Office. Prisoner Werner Schaefer produced the booklet in 1945 (B4).
- ---SBC22133 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. 1947 RAF vertical AP. SP84152080. Yes.
- ---SBC22134 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1948. 1948 RAF vertical AP. SP84551944. Yes.
- <1>SBC19272 Bibliographic reference: Buckinghamshire Record Office. 1995. Wartime Buckinghamshire 1939-1945. p13.
- <2>SBC22131 Unpublished document: Roger J C Thomas. 2003. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project: Prisoner of War Camps (1939-1948). p39 (No.268).
- <3>SBC22788 Bibliographic reference: Aston Abbotts History Group. 2000. Aston Abbotts 1000-2000, A Village History.
- <4>SBC22789 Bibliographic reference: Werner Schaefer. 1945.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 83937 20348 (314m by 246m) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON ABBOTTS, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2011 1:09PM