Monument record 0804400000 - Aylesbury TA Centre, Oxford Road
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- PIT (Post-Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1798 AD?)
Evaluation trial trenching carried out by Wessex Archaeology in February and March 2003 revealed sparce medieval and post-medieval features on the site, indicative of domestic activity in the vicinity. In trench 7, 3 intercutting medieval ditches containing 12th to 13th century pottery in their fills, were aligned north-south and measured at least 0.5m wide, at least 0.32m deep; at least 1m wide, 0.6m deep; and 2.2m wide, 0.95m deep. 2 possible pits, both at least 2m in diameter and at least 0.45m deep, and probably post-medieval in date, were found in trench 4. A single undated ditch aligned NE-SW, 0.6m wide and 0.15m deep was found in trench 6a. Environmental samples recovered from 2 of the medieval ditches indicated deliberate dumping of charred plant material resulting from domestic activities in the vicinity of the site (B1). NGR to trench 7.
- <1>SBC20243 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 2003. Aylesbury TA, Oxford Road, Aylesbury: Report on Archaeological Evaluation.
- <2>SBC23953 Unpublished document: Archaeology & Planning Solutions. 2005. Land North of Oxford Road, Aylesbury: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment.
|Grid reference||SP 81384 13840 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- VESSEL (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VESSEL (12th Century to 13th Century - 1100 AD to 1299 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post-Medieval - 1540 AD to 1798 AD)
- MAMMAL REMAINS (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (Ref: 52435) (EBC16377)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2011 2:46PM