Monument record 0449803000 - PARK AT FINGEST MANOR
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- PARK (First mentioned 1330, 14th Century - 1330 AD to 1399 AD?)
- DEER PARK (First mentioned 1330, 14th Century - 1330 AD to 1399 AD?)
In 1330 Henry Burghershe, Bishop of Lincoln, obtained royal licence to impark his woods of Tyngehirst with 300 acres of land adjoining it. Tax assessments indicate that the bishop had encroached on certain common lands and this appears to have created immediate conflict, which is not surprising in a parish containing little more than 1300 acres. In 1341, the greater part of the land of the parish is described as being within the 'newly constructed park' so that only 4 virgates of cultivated land remained outside it. The bishop died in 1343 and although the manor was held by his successors until 1547 there are no further references to a park (B8). NGR to manor.
- <8>SBC2326 Article in serial: L M Cantor and J Hatherly. 1977. 'THE MEDIEVAL PARKS OF BUCKINGHAMSHIRE', in Records of Buckinghamshire 20. Vol 20 part 3. pp431,433,442, Fig 2 (11).
|Grid reference||SU 7761 9127 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FINGEST AND LANE END, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2003 3:08PM