Monument record 0668300000 - Hartwell Dog Track
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (Modern - 1942 AD to 1960 AD?)
- DOG RACING TRACK (20th Century to Modern - 1900 AD? to 1942 AD)
Hartwell Dog Track was used from 1942 as a Prisoner of War Camp for Italians captured in North Africa (B1).
The camp is visible on 1946 RAF vertical APs and the layout still appeared to be intact in 1960 as shown on the 6" OS map (B2).
Location of the camp confirmed by members of Stone Local History Group (B3).
Recorded by Red Cross as a 'German Working Camp' (Camp no. 36) (B4).
- ---SBC19582 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. 1946 RAF vertical AP. SP79751175. Yes.
- <1>SBC19581 Bibliographic reference: Buckinghamshire Record Office. 1995. BRO 1995 Wartime Buckinghamshire 1939-1945. pp13-14.
- <2>SBC19579 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 Provisional Edition 6". Quarter sheet. 1:10,560.
- <3>SBC19580 Verbal communication: Ann Littlewood & Mrs Sherwood. 2002. Mrs Littlewood & Mrs Sherwood (Stone Local History Group) to J Wise 18th March 2002.
- <4>SBC22131 Unpublished document: Roger J C Thomas. 2003. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project: Prisoner of War Camps (1939-1948). p22 (no 36).
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7970 1207 (307m by 275m) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STONE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2011 11:20AM