Monument record 0660100000 - Field south east of Creslow
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- TRANSMITTER SITE? (Abandoned early 1990s, Modern - 1939 AD? to 1990 AD?)
- BROADCASTING TRANSMITTER (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Transmitter site constructed during WW2 and operated up to early 1990s. Main building complex (at NGR) demolished and rebuilt 1991. Only westernmost building of previous complex survived as a 'riggers building. Masts demolished mid 1990s and concrete mast stages now being grubbed out (B1).
After war, thought to be used as an MI6 Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) site, possibly a 'Numbers Station' transmitting encoded shortwave messages to MI6 agents (B2).
- ---SBC22612 Aerial Photograph: JASAIR for Bucks CC. 1988. 1988 JasAir vertical AP. SP81902250. Yes.
- ---SBC22613 Aerial Photograph: RAF 82 Squadron. 1947. 1947 RAF vertical AP. SP81702165. Yes.
- ---SBC22614 Aerial Photograph: RAF 541 Squadron. 1948. 1948 RAF vertical AP. SP82202160. Yes.
- <1>SBC19249 Unpublished document: Sandy Kidd (BCC). 2000. Kidd S June 2000 Notes of site visit.
- <2>SBC22610 Unpublished document: Alan Turnbull. 2006. Secret Bases website.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8188 2161 (1391m by 1463m)|
|Civil Parish||CRESLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC15782)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 6:12PM