Landscape record 0640801000 - Vicarage garden, Whitchurch
- Listed Building (II) 1391585: THE VICARAGE, STABLE, SUMMERHOUSE AND EASTERN BOUNDARY WALL
Type and Period (5)
- GARDEN (First mentioned 1862, 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD)
- SUMMERHOUSE (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- HAND PUMP (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Present house rebuilt in 1848, Sheahan mentions up to four acres of gardens in 1862, modern maps show closer to one. APs show no detail on any interesting features (B1).
A large garden set behind a high brick wall to the south and east and a high stone wall to the east and alongside the road and footpath to the north, with a well detailed brick summerhouse and stable attached to the wall against the glebe field to the east. There is also an old pump at the bottom of the garden. The summerhouse and stable, which has a stable door to the Glebe field and the Vicars door to the garden are considered to be of listable quality. The garden provides an important landscaped setting for the church (B2).
Grade II. Running south from the south-west corner of the Vicarage a 2m tall brick wall, coped and with rounded corners, defines the east side of the rear garden. Midway down this a modest, cubicle-like, brick structure with a central gothic-arched doorway flanked by narrow 'lancet' windows. Whilst apparently a summerhouse (with a brick wall across its back) this was originally an entrance through to the paddock to the east. Broadly contemporary with Vicarage. To south wall bonded in to back wall of pre-existing, c.1800, two-bay brick stable, with dentil eaves course, slate roof and door giving access from garden. East front of stable partly of timber. Manger survives internally (B3).
Notes and digital photos made during site visit (B4).
Linear parch marks visible on the 2006 BCC vertical AP in the field to the east of the site may relate to the 4 acre garden mentioned by Sheahan in 1862 which had gone before the 1880s OS (B5).
Desk-based assessment report on vicarage buildings and grounds (B6).
- <1>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <2>SBC22406 Unpublished document: Julia Smith (AVDC). 2005. The Vicarage, White Horse Lane, Whitchurch.
- <3>SBC19269 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Added 21st April 2006.
- <4>SBC23176 Unpublished document: Julia Wise (BCC). 2006. Notes and photographs of garden made during site visit.
- <5>SBC24185 Unpublished document: Notes on 2006 aerial photograph.
- <6>SBC24186 Unpublished document: West Waddy ADP. 2010. The Vicarage, White Horse Lane, Whitchurch: Conservation Statement.
|Grid reference||SP 80298 20769 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||WHITCHURCH, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2014 3:15PM