Monument record 0629800000 - E OF LOWER BLACKGROVE FARM
- Planning Notification Area: Roman buildings found on gas pipeline
Type and Period (6)
- PIT (2nd Century to 3rd Century - 100 AD to 299 AD)
- DITCH (2nd Century to 4th Century - 100 AD to 399 AD)
- BEAM SLOT (3rd Century to 4th Century - 200 AD to 399 AD)
- GULLY (1st Century Roman to 2nd Century - 43 AD to 199 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
- POST HOLE (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
Plan Form - LINEAR
EXTENSIVE RB OCCUPATION OVER C.100M FOUND DURING STRIPPING FOR GAS PIPE-LINE. FEATURES INCLUDE DITCHES & SOME PITS. POSSIBLE TRACE OF BUILDING? WITH ROBBED OUT FOUNDATION TRENCH ON THREE SIDES AND POST HOLE ON OTHER SIDE. ?BEAM SLOTS? SOME POST-MED OCCUPATION (B1).
15 ditches, 14 gullies, 11 pits and a single post-hole were recorded. The limited excavation means that chronology is very uncertain. However, it is thought that the system of linear features originated at the turn of the 1st century AD and were iniatially small gullies for draining small areas. They were generally no deeper than 20cm. The larger linear features are probably later, perhaps the end of the 2nd century or start of the 3rd and probably survived into the 4th century AD. A ditch system was reinstated in the medieval period, on a remarkably similar alignment, suggesting the Roman ditch system, though silted, was still visible. The medieval features were probably field drains and land boundaries, and there is an enclosure in the centre of the site that may be related to domestic settlement nearby. Near the southern side of the site was an interrupted linear feature with a number of short perpendicular branches and one contained several flat limestone blocks in the base, suggesting it was a foundation trench for a building. Pottery dated from the mid-3rd to 4th century AD (B2).
- <1>SBC9909 Verbal communication: Network Archaeology. 1998. PRELIMINARY REPORT ON AYLESBURY-STEPPINGLEY GAS PIPELINE.
- <2>SBC23039 Unpublished document: Network Archaeology. 2007. Steppingley to Aylesbury Natural Gas Pipeline: archaeological watching brief 1997. pp 19, 22.
|Grid reference||SP 77020 17350 (point)|
|Civil Parish||FLEET MARSTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- SHERD (1st Century Roman to 4th Century - 43 AD to 399 AD)
- SHERD (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
- DRESSED STONE (3rd Century to 4th Century - 200 AD to 399 AD)
- COIN (3rd Century to 4th Century - 200 AD to 399 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation (EBC10857)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2018 3:41PM