Building record 1320502000 - RED LION HOTEL, 9-10 HIGH STREET
- Listed Building (II)
- Listed Building (II) 1125159: RED LION HOTEL
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) INN (18th Century to Modern - 1700 AD to 1969 AD)
- (Former Type) INN (First mentioned 1482, 15th Century to 17th Century - 1400 AD to 1699 AD)
- SHOP (Modern - 1969 AD? to 1999 AD)
GRADE II. EARLY C18 ENLARGED & REMODELLED BETWEEN 1772 & 1847. FRONT OF 3 PARTS, EACH OF 4 BAYS; EAST SECTION ADDED 1930. RED BRICK, OLD TILED ROOF. 3 STOREYS; CENTRAL SECTION HAS MOULDED BRICK STRINGCOURSE OVER 2ND FLOOR WINDOWS & PARAPET WITH STONE COPING. IN PROCESS OF EXTENSIVE ALTERATIONS, LEAVING MOST OF FRONT WALL INTACT BUT INTRODUCING GROUND FLOOR ARCADE SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE GUILDHALL. LARGE DORIC PORTICO OVER PAVEMENT, TO BE MOVED, HAS 4 COLUMNS IN 2 PAIRS, 3/4 FLUTED, SIMILAR PAIRS OF PILASTERS, ENTABLATURE AND LEAD ROOF CURVING UP IN CENTRE OF FORM BASE OF LARGE STATUE OF THE RED LION. SASH WINDOWS IN REVEALS UNDER FLAT ARCHES. DISRAELI MADE HIS 1ST POLITICAL SPEECH HERE, 1832, EITHER FROM A FIRST FLOOR WINDOW OR FROM THE TOP OF THE HOTEL PORTICO. WINSTON CHURCHILL SPOKE FROM HERE IN 1945.
Richard Lucas innkeeper of the Red Lion issued trade tokens in 1653 and 1670. Served as an alderman from 1649-1675 and as mayor three times, in 1660-1, 1667 and 1672. Further detail (B2).
The Red Lion (now Woolworth's store) was first mentioned by name in 1482 (B3).
The Red Lion closed in 1969 (B4).
Buildings report held at NMR (B5)
- <1>SBC3604 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: WYCOMBE DISTRICT: BOROUGH OF HIGH WYCOMBE.
- <2>SBC22677 Article in serial: George Berry. 1967. 'New Light on the Seventeenth Century Token Issuers of Chepping Wycombe', in Recs of Bucks 18 pp 150-163. Vol 18 Part 2. pp152-3,157,162-3, Plates V(a) & X.
- <3>SBC22575 Bibliographic reference: Martin Andrew. 2005. High Wycombe: A History and Celebration. p29.
- <4>SBC22464 Bibliographic reference: James Rattue. 2002. High Wycombe Past. p53 caption to plate 60.
- <5>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF038831.
|Grid reference||SU 86618 92994 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13570)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2017 12:12PM