Building record 1318800000 - CHAPEL HOUSE, CHAPEL LANE
- Listed Building (II) 1125215: CHAPEL HOUSE AND GROUP OF COTTAGES TO SOUTH
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (Built about 1770, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FOLLY (Built about 1770, 18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
Grade II. Late C18 or early C19 flint rubble house with central tower. Single storey, old tiled roofs with red brick cornices. 4 casements and tall central pointed arched window with imposts, all in red brick dressings. Central gabled bay in front of taller gable and flanked by buttresses. Tower has pinnacles, bands, pointed arched openings. Lower group of cottages to south, similar to wings of main block, probably early C19 (B1).
Visible from Chapel Lane and prominent in the view down the lake, the 'Temple of St Crispin', a shoemaker's cottage disguised as as a sham chapel of flint with red brick dressings. At the W end a tower with obelisk finials. Repton removed its tall spire, which had been recommended to Dashwood by Captain J Moody. In the middle of the E front a steep-arched screen. Three-bay lower wings left and right. One of the chimneys nightmarishly with an outline of one zig and one zag (B2).
- <1>SBC3604 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1973. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: WYCOMBE DISTRICT: BOROUGH OF HIGH WYCOMBE.
- <2>SBC19664 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner & Elizabeth Williamson. 1994. The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. p736.
|Grid reference||SU 4843e 1941e (point)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13570)
Record last edited
Nov 29 2023 6:45PM