Monument record 0596800000 - WEST WYCOMBE HILL
- None recorded
Type and Period (4)
- CULTIVATION TERRACE (Post-Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- CELTIC FIELD SYSTEM? (Early Iron Age to 5th Century Roman - 700 BC? to 409 AD?)
Plan Form - LINEAR
REMAINS OF ANCIENT TERRACE CULTIVATION ON HILL, THE LINCES STRETCHING ACROSS THE FRONT. THE UPPER BALK IS USED AS A FOOTPATH TO PORTOBELLO GARDENS; BELOW ARE REMAINS OF 2 OTHER BALKS (B1). 3-4 PARALLEL SCARPS 10M APART, 0.4M HIGH, WITH NO TERRACES BETWEEN ARE PROBABLY ORNAMENTAL (B2).
Background research and detailed topographic survey carried out by English Heritage between April 2000 and June 2001. Cultivation terraces surviving to south, northwest and east of hillfort possibly of Iron Age or Romano-British date, and possibly reused in the 18th century as ornamental terraces for tree-planting. Medieval hollow way and traces of ridge and furrow also survive. See report for detail (B3-B5).
- ---SBC18944 Aerial Photograph: 10/04/47. RAF 85.3137-3138. SU\828944. Yes.
- <1>SBC6104 Bibliographic reference: HARMAN H 1934 NOTES ON WEST WYCOMBE PP52-54..
- <2>SBC9871 Bibliographic reference: NAR SU89 SW7,AUGUST 1974..
- <3>SBC19995 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2001. West Wycombe Park Buckinghamshire - Part 1: Site History and Introduction. 1.
- <4>SBC19996 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2001. West Wycombe Park Buckinghamshire - Part II: The Earthwork Surveys. 2. pp42,71,85, 87-88,89,91-92 Fig 21.
- <5>SBC19998 Graphic material: English Heritage. 2000. West Wycombe Park: detailed plans of Pleasure Grounds, Wider Parkland and Church Hill. 1:2500. Fig 18.
|Grid reference||SU 82700 94800 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Detailed topographic survey and background research (EBC16386)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC14187)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2019 1:13PM