Building record 1305220000 - SIR WILLIAM BORLASE GRAMMAR SCHOOL, MARLOW
- Listed Building (II*) 1217598: BORLASE SCHOOL
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) CHARITY SCHOOL (Founded 1624, 17th Century to 19th Century - 1624 AD to 1881 AD)
- GRAMMAR SCHOOL (From 1881, 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
Grade II+. Founded by Henry Borlase in 1624. Central and original part 2 storeys and attic. Flint with brick quoins and window surrounds. Old tile roof. Central chimney with diamond and square shafts and elaborate offset head. Central gable projection, former entry, now with one window on each floor. On each side of projection one gabled dormer, and 8 light mullioned and transomed casements below, with stone panel inscribed with text between. All lights early C19 type. Flanking additions of different dates, all modern, 1954 being main date, built in matching materials of flint and brick. No 104 and the Borlase School form a group (B1).
Founded by Sir William Borlase in 1624 in memory of his son Henry, to teach 24 poor boys 'to read and write, and cast accounts' and 6 were later to be apprenticed. The boys wore blue cloaks for church parade on Sundays and were known as Blue Boys. Finances were always difficult and fee-paying pupils were later admitted. After a reorganisation by the charity commissioners and a major building programme, the school reopened as a boys' grammar school in 1881. After the 1902 Education Act, Buckinghamshire County Council was able to provide funds for further building and for scholarships. Girls were fully admitted to the school in 1988 (B3).
Buildings report dated Mar 1994 held at NMR (B4)
- <1>SBC3617 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1974. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. pp55-6.
- <2>SBC22299 Digital archive: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database.
- <3>SBC19624 Bibliographic reference: Rachel Bown & Julian Hunt. 1994. Marlow: A Pictorial History. Introduction, Plates 102 & 104.
- <4>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF098354.
|Grid reference||SU 84540 86408 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||MARLOW, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 18 2017 2:28PM