Building record 1295200000 - TIPPINGS, THE COMMON
- Listed Building (II) 1332064: TIPPINGS
Type and Period (4)
- (Former Type) SCHOOL (17th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- HOUSE (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) CHARITY SCHOOL (Founded 1675, 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) TEACHERS HOUSE (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
Grade II. House, formerly school with master's lodging. Founded 1675 by Bartholomew Tipping for 12 boys, enlarged 1728 by Thomas Delafield, schoolmaster. Later alterations. Flint and brick, the front rendered and colourwashed. Hipped tile roof, flanking brick chimneys. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Tall paired barred wooden casements, 3 to first floor, one to ground floor right. C20 5-light bow window to left. Central C20 door with old rectangular fanlight in gabled porch with 4-centred arch. Flint and brick lean-to to left, rendered lean-to to right. Rear wall of original front range has quoins and first floor band course of narrow brick. Rear wing, forming L-plan, is dated TD 1728 on tie beam, and has lean-to in angle with front wing. Interior has large fireplace with chamfered brick arch in right room. (M.S. of Thomas Delafield, Bodleian Library, Gough Oxon 47)(B1).
- <1>SBC20224 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Wycombe District: Parishes of Bledlow &C. p69.
|Grid reference||SU 76120 96338 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STOKENCHURCH, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 27 2009 5:47PM