Monument record 0055401000 - SE OF CHURCH FARM
- Ancient Monument 1013416: DESERTED VILLAGES AND CIVIL WAR EARTHWORK
Type and Period (2)
- PILLOW MOUND (16th Century - 1500 AD? to 1599 AD?)
- RABBIT WARREN (16th Century - 1500 AD? to 1599 AD?)
Dimensions - Width 0008 m Height 0001
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
RCHM(E) SURVEY OF QUARRENDON EARTHWORKS INTERPRETS THE 'CIVIL WAR BATTERY' AS A SERIES OF PILLOW MOUNDS (B7).
Complex of well-preserved pillow mounds and enlongated ditched closes, on pronounced ridge E of site of the 16th century mansion. Mounds comprise 3 distinct morphological types: individual circular mounds (2 examples), individual elongated mounds (3 examples), and multiple linear (segmented) mounds (3 strings of 8, 3 and 4 mounds). Documentary references to Sir Henry Lee making a gift of a pair of does to Lord Burghley in 1579, and to leases including land or closes with 'warren' field names between 1607 and 1754. See published report for detail (B9).
- ---SBC17397 Aerial Photograph: 05/02/90. BCM A14/8/29. SP\805158. Yes.
- ---SBC17793 Aerial Photograph: 25/07/48. CUC BV 87. SP\806158. Yes.
- ---SBC17813 Aerial Photograph: 09/04/49. CUC CA 78-80. SP\805158. Yes.
- ---SBC17897 Aerial Photograph: 27/04/54. CUC NY 73. SP\806157. Yes.
- ---SBC18426 Aerial Photograph: 06/02/85. NMR SP8015/54-55. SP\805158. Yes.
- <7>SBC13169 Bibliographic reference: RCHM(E),1989-1990 (COPY OF SURVEY IN CAS FILE 0407 ).
- <9>SBC19329 Article in serial: Paul Everson. 2001. Peasants, Peers and Graziers: The Landscape of Quarrendon, Buckinghamshire, interpreted. pp32-35,41-42.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8063 1563 (220m by 160m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||QUARRENDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14147)
- Event - Survey: Detailed earthwork survey (EBC15854)
Record last edited
Feb 1 2018 1:38PM