Monument record 0055000000 - SHREDING GREEN FARM
- Planning Notification Area: Site of a Medieval moat, now backfilled
Type and Period (1)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Plan Form - HORSESHOE SHAPED
HOMESTEAD MOAT (B1).
OBLITERATED BY PLOUGHING BUT THE COURSE OF ITS ARMS CAN BE TRACED BY PORTIONS OF DARKER COLOURED SOIL (B2).
MOAT FILLED IN C .1932/1934. A HORSESHOE SHAPE WITH RUBBLE FILL IS STILL VISIBLE UNDER MARKET GARDEN (B3).
This moat has been ploughed out and subsequently filled in, but its course can be picked out by differential soil marks on aerial photographs. The Buckinghamshire County Museum has designated this site as one which would require archaeological investigation (B4).
- ---SBC18852 Aerial Photograph: 11/05/55. RAF 299.0092. TQ\033813. Yes.
- <1>SBC12670 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P221.
- <2>SBC11302 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Field Investigator. 1953. OS RECORD CARD, APRIL 1953.
- <3>SBC5334 Verbal communication: Mike Farley (BCM). 1973. PERS COMM FOLLOWING FIELD VISIT, JUNE 1973.
- <4>SBC22555 Unpublished document: Greater London Council. 1977. The Archaeology of the Colne Valley Park. Table 12.
|Grid reference||Centred TQ 0280 8098 (60m by 80m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IVER, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC17228)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC17229)
Record last edited
Oct 7 2009 2:13PM