Building record 0053102000 - CHAPEL AT GREAT HUNDRIDGE FARM
- Listed Building (II*) 1124900: CHAPEL AT GREAT HUNDRIDGE MANOR
Type and Period (4)
- CHANTRY CHAPEL (13th Century to 16th Century - 1200 AD to 1599 AD)
- CHAPEL (Recorded 1199, 12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- BREWHOUSE (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- BARN (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
Dimensions - Length 13 m, Width 6m.
Plan Form - Rectangular.
Built C13, E of manor house. Ref in 1199. Chantry/free chapel of St Edward. Ruinous in 1504. Still had a chaplain 1546 (B4).
Chapel retains original walls & C13 windows. Rest rebuilt C17, converted to barn & brewhouse (B4-6).
Grade II+. Former private chapel now part of house. C13. Flint rubble with clunch dressings and later red brick, partly roughcast. Old tile roof. 2-pointed lancets to each side wall, C15 3-light east window. RCHM I p96 Mon 24 (B7).
- <4>SBC15265 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 1 P286.
- <5>SBC15697 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP206, 212, 217.
- <6>SBC12561 Bibliographic reference: RCHM 1 PP96-97.
- <7>SBC3679 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p11.
|Grid reference||SP 93268 01620 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||CHARTRIDGE, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13587)
Record last edited
May 10 2020 5:46PM