Building record 0052210000 - BURNHAM ABBEY
- Conservation Area
- Listed Building (II) 1124512: DOVECOTE IN THE GARDEN OF THE ABBEY HOUSE
Type and Period (1)
- DOVECOTE (16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
Plan Form - Rectangular.
1649 Parliamentary Survey includes pigeonhouse (B6).
S of Abbey is C16 dovecote (B7).
Moat returns S of dovecote (B14).
Medieval pigeonhouse which peceeded Tudor one on this or another spot, disappeared (B10).
Grade II. Probably C16 and formerly attached to Burnham Abbey. Red brick. Rectangular in plan with pyramidal thatch roof. Two simple openings with iron bars for the entry of the birds. Plain door; brick nests in walls for about 300 birds (B23).
The English Heritage MPP survey of dovecotes describes the the dovecote as rectangular with a pyramidial thatched roof. Two simple openings blocked by iron bars give access to 300 brick net boxes. The survey notes that is unusual to find brick being used for dovecotes before the 17th century and also to find a thatched dovecote. The condition is said to be good - well preseved and with interior retaining integrity (B27).
- <7>SBC12860 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP72-75.
- <10>SBC14573 Bibliographic reference: Sister Jane Mary. 1975. THE SITE OF BURNHAM ABBEY.
- <12>SBC11407 Unpublished document: OS RECORD CARDS SU 98 SW 18 (FILED).
- <14>SBC8065 Bibliographic reference: M E FARLEY FIELD VISIT JAN 1977.
- <23>SBC4001 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: DISTRICT OF SOUTH BUCKS.
- <26>SBC4869 Verbal communication: FARLEY M E (BCM) JUNE 1997 PERS COMM.
- <27>SBC19853 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeological Unit. 1995. English Heritage MPP Step 3 Report: Site Evaluations for Dovecotes.
|Grid reference||SU 93070 80370 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BURNHAM, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2022 5:30PM