Building record 1093400000 - POND COTTAGE, 15 ORCHARD WAY, BOTTOLPH CLAYDON
- Listed Building (II) 1212261: POND COTTAGE
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (16th Century to Modern - 1500 AD to 1999 AD)
- CRUCK HOUSE (Built 1509, 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD) + Sci.Date
- (Alternate Type) TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 17th Century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- (Alternate Type) LOBBY ENTRY HOUSE (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
Grade II. House. C15, altered C17, extended to south C18 and C20, and to north late C19. 2 centre bays are timber framed with colourwashed brick infill, the right bay with 2 cruck trusses. Late C19 bay to right is of rat-trap brick, C20 extension to left is of colourwashed render with planked half-timbering. Thatched roofs, brick chimneys, that to right of C15 bay with thin brick. Late C19 bay is of one storey, remainder of one storey and attic, with varied roof heights. Irregular C20 wooden casements. Rebuilt lobby entry to right of C15 bay. Fireplace dated 1643 (B1).
4 cruck trusses with elbowed blades. Source: A.G. Taylor (B2).
Historic building recording and dendro-dating in May 1990 suggests that the building originated as a two-bay hall house with the open hall in bay 1 and a chamber in bay 2, only part of which survives, along with two cuck trusses. Truss 1 has blades truncated for a half-hip ('type V') with a collar and tiebeam and part of the half-hipped roof structure survives within the later south extension. Ttruss 2
- <1>SBC20017 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Bucks: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Dunton &C.
- <2>SBC23395 Digital archive: Vernacular Architecture Group. 2004 onwards. Vernacular Architecture Group: Cruck Database.
- <3>SBC24850 Bibliographic reference: Nat Alcock & Dan Miles. 2013. The Medieval Peasant House in Midland England. BOT-A.
|Grid reference||SP 73201 24512 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EAST CLAYDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2017 1:16PM