Monument record 0048200000 - 500M WSW OF PARISH CHURCH
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- WINDMILL MOUND? (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD?)
- RING DITCH (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD?)
Dimensions - Radius 18m.
Plan Form - Circular.
In c.1913 was 120 feet in diameter & 4 feet high, with a wet ditch (B1).
Photographed 1971; bulldozed May 1971, mound totally removed. Medieval pottery collected from site. Outline of mound marked on CAS map; 6-inch OS map shows semicircular ditch. Could be a motte (B3).
A medieval boundary ditch and ring ditch is visible on historic aerial photographs as earthworks and cropmarks and was mapped as part of the North Buckinghamshire Aerial Investigation and Mapping project (EBC18304). Located in a field adjacent the B4032 road and about 507 metres WSW of Holy Trinity Church in Drayton Parslow, centred at SP 83251 28254, an earthwork ditch about 5.5 metres wide extends in a semi-circular arc about 52 metres, enclosing an area about 26.5 metres in diameter. By 1990, the ditch has been infilled, but a circular ring ditch about 3.5 metres wide with a 4.5 metres wide gap on its SW side is visible as a cropmark inside the original arc of ditch, enclosing an internal area about 21.5 metres in diameter. All these features are still visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs taken in 2019 AND as a shallow earthwork ditch on recent remote sensing data (5-8).
- ---SBC18470 Aerial Photograph: 19/07/90. NMR SP8328/5. SP\833282. Yes.
- <1>SBC12885 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 P100.
- <2>SBC15531 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 P345.
- <3>SBC4436 Bibliographic reference: DUNNETT R 1971(MAY) FIELD VISIT (FROM OLD RECORD C ARD- NOT RETAINED).
- <4>SBC13499 Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 1971 19 P94.
- <5>SBC25696 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2022. RAF-3G-TUD-UK-86 RV 6170 26-MAR-1946.
- <6>SBC25697 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2022. NMR 4618-08 19-JUL-1990.
- <7>SBC25062 Digital archive: Environment Agency. Environment Agency LiDAR data. SP82NW Environment Agency National LIDAR Programme DTM 1 Metre dated 2021 SP8328.
- <8>SBC25596 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2022. Next Perspectives APGB Imagery. SP8328.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8324 2824 (60m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||DRAYTON PARSLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13557)
- Event - Survey: Aerial investigation and mapping project (Ref: 7768) (EBC18304)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2023 5:42PM