Monument record 0586100000 - RISBOROUGH TO THAME RAILWAY
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Length 4400 m
Plan Form - LINEAR
EXTENSION OF WYCOMBE RAILWAY THROUGH PRINCES RISBOROUGH-THAME OPENED 1 AUG 1862; LAST 13 MILES TO OXFORD FROM THAME OPENED 24 OCT 1864. SINGLE & BROAD GAUGE, CONVERTED 1870. OXFORD-RISBOROUGH PASSENGER SERVICE CLOSED 7 JAN 1963; THAME OPEN FOR OIL TRAFFIC (B1, B5). WHOLE LINE NOW CLOSED & DERELICT. NGR'S (B3).
History of the railway. Passenger traffic declined after 1945 due to road traffic being subsidised (B6).
Oil depot closed in 1991 (B7).
- <1>SBC2933 Bibliographic reference: CHRISTIANSEN R 1981 THAMES & SEVERN (REGIONAL HIST ORY OF RAILWAYS OF GREAT BRITAIN VOL 13) PP148-15.
- <2>SBC9239 Article in serial: C L Mowat. 1933. 'THE WYCOMBE RAILWAY', IN RAILWAY MAGAZINE 73 PP157-164 & PP321-326. Vol 73.
- <3>SBC12200 Verbal communication: PIKE A R OCT 1992 FIELD VISIT & OS 1960 1:10560 MA P.
- <4>SBC19703 Verbal communication: Francis Gomme. 2002. Francis Gomme to Sandy Kidd July 2002.
- <5>SBC20434 Bibliographic reference: D Edwards R Pilgrim. 1982. The Final Link. page 46.
- <6>SBC22784 Bibliographic reference: F G Cockman. 2006. The Railways of Buckinghamshire from the 1830s: An account of those that were not built as well as those which were. PAGE 59.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 77860 03575 (4169m by 1404m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONGWICK-CUM-ILMER, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||PRINCES RISBOROUGH, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13536)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2015 3:59PM