Monument record 0577200000 - WHITELEAF HILL
- Ancient Monument 1014598: CROSS DYKE ON WHITELEAF HILL, 165M SOUTH EAST OF THE WHITELEAF CROSS
- Planning Notification Area: Chalk cross, prehistoric barrows and World War I practice trenches on Whiteleaf Hill
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS DYKE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
Dimensions - Length 168m, Width 8m.
Plan Form - Linear.
Long univallate ditch & large bank to N & traces of smaller bank to S. Best preserved at SW end (SP8221 0383) where bank is 0.8m high. Dyke obliterated at NE end & vanishes at SW. Original length impossible to estimate. Cut by Medieval(?) holloway at SP82200383. Some erossion & tree damage. Details & Survey (B1-2).
Scheduled: SAM No.27148 (B4).
Condition survey 2000 (B5).
Geophysical surveys carried out by Bartlett-Clark Consultancy in September 2002 and June 2003 failed to find any evidence for the continuation of the ditch extending northwards towards the Neolithic barrow. See report for details (B7).
- <1>SBC4878 Bibliographic reference: FARLEY M E (BCM) MAY 1991 FIELD VISIT.
- <2>SBC16786 Article in serial: Julia Wise. 1991. 'A Survey of Prehistoric and Later Earthworks on Whiteleaf Hill', in Recs of Bucks 33 PP108-113. Vol 33.
- <3>SBC3382 Unpublished document: DAMANT C (BUCKS CC) PIKE A R & FARLEY M E (BCM) DEC 1993.
- <4>SBC23976 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1996. SCHEDULING LISTS OF INSPECTORATE OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS.
- <5>SBC19447 Unpublished document: Kidd S. 2000. Whiteleaf Hill site visit and condition report.
- <6>SBC19161 Unpublished document: Michael Farley Archaeology. 2000. Whiteleaf Local Nature Reserve, Princes Risborough.
- <7>SBC22176 Unpublished document: Bartlett-Clark Consultancy. 2004. Whiteleaf Hill, Princes Risborough: Report on Archaeogeophysical Surveys 2002-3.
- <8>SBC23046 Article in serial: Gill Hey, Caroline Dennis & Andrew Mayes. 2007. 'Archaeological Investigations on Whiteleaf Hill, Princes Risborough, 2002-6', in Records of Bucks 47 pp1-80. Vol 47, Part 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8224 0385 (170m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||PRINCES RISBOROUGH, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Condition survey (EBC15939)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical survey (EBC16513)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC14057)
- Event - Survey: Topographic earthwork survey (EBC11093)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2022 10:32AM