Monument record 0552700000 - 500M.W.OF FLEETMARSTON FARM
- None recorded
Type and Period (6)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
- DITCHED ENCLOSURE? (Iron Age to 5th Century Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- PIT? (Iron Age to 5th Century Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- CURVILINEAR ENCLOSURE? (Iron Age to 5th Century Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Iron Age to 5th Century Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
SCATTER OF RB SHERDS (00:001); MEDIEVAL SHERDS (00:002); POST-MEDIEVAL SHERDS (00:003); ALSO QUERN FRAGMENT (00:004), C14/C15 COPPER ALLOY BUCKLE (00:005), FOUND DURING FIELDWALKING BY MANDEVILLE CENTRE ADULT EDUCATION CLASS, SHERDS EVENLY SCATTERED THROUGHOUT FIELD (B1).
Geophysical survey carried out by Pre-Construct Geophysics in February 2009 identified the remains of a small concentration of curvilinear and sub-circular ditched enclosures and possible pits towards the eastern end of Field 6. See report for detail (B2).
Features identified through geophysics confirmed by evaluation. Two sub-ovoid enclosures and a sub-circular enclosure are thought to have fallen out of use in the Roman period. A roughly circular pit probably represents a contemporary internal feature. Two further linear features with sharp, rectangular profiles were probably revetted with wood or contained wood. See report for detail (B3).
Two oval positive magnetic anomalies to the east of centre in the site have been categorised as possible archaeology. The northernmost of these anomalies measures approximately 40m in diameter and the southernmost 20m, although they appear to be incomplete. The responses are also partially masked by a strong magnetic shadow from a nearby pipe. Due to the isolated nature of the oval responses and the lack of supporting evidence, they cannot be considered as definite archaeological responses. (B4)
- <1>SBC9551 Verbal communication: Barbara Hurman. 1986. MRS B M HURMAN, PERS COMM, JULY 1986.
- <2>SBC23506 Unpublished document: Pre-Construct Geophysics. 2009. Geophysical Survey: Fleet Marston, Aylesbury.
- <3>SBC24157 Unpublished document: Pre-Construct Archaeology. 2009. Land at Fleet Marston, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire: An Archaeological Evaluation. p24-7.
- <4>SBC24679 Unpublished document: High Speed 2 (HS2) Limited. 2013. London - West Midlands Environmental Statement, Volume 5, Technical Appendices, CFA11, Stoke Mandeville and Aylesbury, Survey Reports (CH-004-011).
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7712 1638 (203m by 148m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FLEET MARSTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: 500M.W.OF FLEETMARSTON FARM (Find Spot) (0552700001)
- Parent of: 500M.W.OF FLEETMARSTON FARM (Find Spot) (0552700002)
- Parent of: 500M.W.OF FLEETMARSTON FARM (Find Spot) (0552700003)
- Parent of: 500M.W.OF FLEETMARSTON FARM (Find Spot) (0552700004)
- Parent of: 500M.W.OF FLEETMARSTON FARM (Find Spot) (0552700005)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: (EBC10805)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation (Ref: UFMB09) (EBC17503)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical survey of field west of Fleet Marston Farm (Ref: CFA11 KB0AD-C) (EBC17793)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical surveys (EBC17219)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 10:18AM