Monument record 0000600000 - WHADDON CHASE HOARD
- Planning Notification Area: Iron Age Finds
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
Plan Form - CIRCULAR
320+ COINS, AVERAGE WT 90 GRAINS TROY, FOUND WHILE PLOUGHING. UNCERTAIN IF CONTAINED IN AN URN (B1).
420 COINS TRACED AT TIME (OF DISCOVERY?); MUST HAVE BEEN NEARLY 2000, AS MANY WENT TO BULLION DEALERS. NO ROMAN COINS IN THE HOARD (B2).
SUGGESTED DATE OF DEPOSITION 34 BC (B7).
SOME LT HORWOOD VILLAGERS STILL HAVE SOME COINS (B8).
FOUND NEAR NORBURY CAMP (B1,B4); IN A WOOD CALLED 'PENNYTREE COPPICE' - MODERN FIELD NAME 'CALIFORNIA' (B8).
NGR TO 'BRITISH GOLD COINS FOUND' (OS MAP)(B3).
6 COINS IN BCM (PHOTO/CAS CARD)(B4).
Coins identified as definitely, probably and possibly belonging to the hoard is 309 staters: comprising 260 North Thames uninscribed La type coins, 43 South Thames uninscribed Qb type coins, 3 North-east coast uninscribed I type coins, 1 Gallo-Belgic F type coin, 1 South Thames (Chute) B type coin and 1 Lb type coin. Hoard deposition attributed to early phase 6 (buried between about 50 BC and about 40 or 35 BC. Coins in a large number of museum and private collections, including the British Museum, Buckinghamshire County Museum, National Museum of Wales, Bibliotheque Nationale, Ashmolean Museum, Manchester University, Northampton Museum, Colchester Museum, Reading Museum, Fitzwilliam Museum, Hunterian Museum (B9).
- <1>SBC248 Article in serial: J Y Akerman. 1850. NUMISMATIC CHRONICLE 12 PP1-5; SEE ALSO RECS OF BUCKS, 1854 VOL 1 PP15-17.
- <2>SBC4677 Bibliographic reference: J Evans. 1864. COINS OF THE ANCIENT BRITONS (VARIOUS REFS, ESPECIALLY PP73-5).
- <3>XYSBC10229 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878/1885. OS 1878/85 6 INCH 1ST EDITION MAP. Printed map. 1:10,560. [Mapped feature: #5355 ]
- <4>SBC1280 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum. BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTERS.
- <5>SBC1710 Article in serial: J Berry & W Bradbrook. 1916. 'EXCAVATION AT NORBURY CAMP', IN RECS OF BUCKS 10 PP108-9. Vol 10.
- <6>SBC5471 Article in monograph: D F Allen. 1958. 'Origins of Coinage in Britain', in Frere S S (ed) Problems of the Iron Age in Southern Britain. pp169,176,181,184,199,288.
- <7>SBC10990 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. OS RECORD CARD SP 83 SW:5 (FILED).
- <8>SBC9263 Verbal communication: 1969. MR C GRAINGE (GRANDSON OF PLOUGHBOY) TO MR E J BULL, 1969; FIELD NAME INFORMATION BY E J BULL FROM 1844 WHADDON CHASE ENCLOSURE MAP.
- <9>SBC25324 Bibliographic reference: Philip de Jersey. 2014. Coin Hoards in Iron Age Britain. pp7,19,20,62-76,332,n398 (Hoard 10).
|Grid reference||SP 8015 3166 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE HORWOOD, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- COIN HOARD (Late Iron Age - 50 BC? to 35 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13763)
- Event - Intervention: Disturbed find during ploughing (EBC1206)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2020 11:13PM