Building record 0040501000 - GRANGE FARM, GREAT KIMBLE
- Listed Building (II) 1158943: THE OLD GRANGE
Type and Period (3)
- FARMHOUSE (15th Century to 18th Century - 1400 AD to 1799 AD)
- (Alternate Type) TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- (Former Type) HALL HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
Grade II. House. C15, altered C16 and later. Left bay is of red brick with blue diapers, rendered and whitewashed to left gable and rear. Remainder of front rebuilt in C18 red brick. Timber frame with plaster panels to right gable. Old tile roof, large brick chimney between right bays, smaller brick chimney between left bays, both rebuilt. 2 storeys and attic, 4 bays. Irregular C20 leaded casements, with segmental heads; C20 door in second bay. Right end has lean-to and C19 gabled projection. Gabled staircase projection and lean-to to rear. Interior: 2 centre bays originally an open hall with smoke blackening and hollow chamfered main timbers. Central truss has large curved braces forming 2-centred arch below cambered tie beam, and queen struts to collar with arch-braces forming 4-centred arch. Curved wind-braces. Other curved braces in surviving frame. First floor inserted C16, with stop-chamfered joists, and moulded and stopped cross beam. Large C16 chimney stack inserted in right bay, breaking through C15 floor with heavy joists. Left bay altered but has C17 details with stop-chamfered spine beam and chamfered brick depressed arch to upper fireplace. Good C16-C17 staircase with moulded square balusters, rounded handrail and moulded newel finials. On moated site. RCHM I p. 167 Mon. 10 (B5).
Negative watching brief carried out by AS & C in June and July 2005 during groundworks for new extensions to house. Only modern garden and building features were found (B7).
- <2>SBC12641 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P167.
- <5>SBC22140 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p30.
- <7>SBC22439 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2005. Watching Brief: The Old Grange, Great Kimble.
|Grid reference||SP 82050 05770 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT AND LITTLE KIMBLE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14152)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14168)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: 683/KOG) (EBC16609)
Record last edited
Feb 16 2021 3:33PM