Monument record 0527600000 - MISBOURNE VIADUCT: MWY
- Planning Notification Area: Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age occupation and flint working site found by fieldwalking and during road construction
Type and Period (1)
- OCCUPATION SITE? (Early Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 10000 BC to 701 BC)
(FOR FINDS BEFORE M25, WHEN SITE WAS 2 FIELDS, SEE CASS 04041)(B1).
FOR GENERAL INFO ON M25 SITES SEE CASS 05483 (B2).
SITE CODES: MWY 529-538; 600-606; 709 (B4).
EVIDENCE FOR MESOLITHIC, (01:000) NEOLITHIC & BRONZE AGE OCCUPATION (02:000; 03:000) (B3).
A mesolithic site was excavated in 1967 in advance of the construction of a new road. Details are not available, but an excavation report is pending. The area between the railway and road centred at c.TQ016 879 has been designated by the Buckinghamshire County Museum as one which would require archaeological investigation; it could be directly affected by the preferred route for the M25 (B6).
- <1>SBC2550 Bibliographic reference: CASS 04041.
- <2>SBC2557 Bibliographic reference: CASS 05483.
- <3>SBC4890 Excavation archive: Mike Farley & Mrs H Bridbury. 1983. FARLEY M E (BCM) & MRS H BRIDBURY SEPT/DEC 1983 FIELDWORK ARCHIVE.
- <4>SBC2508 Bibliographic reference: CAS CARD 5276.
- <5>SBC19708 Article in serial: Mike Farley. 1983. 'Archaeological Notes From Buckinghamshire County Museum', in Recs of Bucks Vol 25. Vol 25. p169.
- <6>SBC22555 Unpublished document: Greater London Council. 1977. The Archaeology of the Colne Valley Park. Table 4.
|Grid reference||TQ 01550 87850 (point)|
|Civil Parish||GERRARDS CROSS, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: (EBC11317)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2020 12:15PM