Monument record 0517600000 - 1.75 MILES NNE IVINGHOE CHURCH
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- WATERMILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- (Former Type) MILL RACE? (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- (Former Type) MILL POND? (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
1788 MAP MARKS WATERMILL APPROX AT NGR (B1).
1800 MAP MARKS 'OLD MILL' APPROX AT NGR (B2).
NO VISIBLE INDICATION OF MILL & NO BY-PASS, BUT ON SO SMALL A STREAM WHEEL MIGHT BE MOUNTED ALONGSIDE A SLUICE, WITH A PARTY WALL IN RIVER BED. TRACK RUNS BY CHURCHYARD TOWARDS MILL SITE TO DISUSED BRIDGE (B3).
Site visit suggests some artificial intervention in the course of the stream and a possile mill pond on the eastern side of a track. This track dog-legged on the 1st Edition OS map to the possible mill-site on the western side of the current track and the bridge was further downstream. Suggests it was a flash mill and would often have been short of water, so may have worked in tandem with the windmill (B4). NGR to sketch map.
Historical notes (B5).
- <1>SBC12065 Map: Thomas Jefferys. 1788. MAP OF BUCKS. Linen.
- <2>SBC6668 Map: about 1800. Map of the Parish with the Hamlet of Invinghoe Aston.
- <3>SBC5461 Unpublished document: Stanley Freese. 1946. WINDMILLS & WATERMILLS OF BUCKS (manuscript notes).
- <4>SBC22932 Unpublished document: David Lindsey. 2007. Correspondence from David Lindsey to Mike Farley re: Ivinghoe Aston watermill.
- <5>SBC23045 Bibliographic reference: Michael Farley, Edward Legg and James Venn (eds). 2007. The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs. p72.
|Grid reference||SP 96281 18370 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EDLESBOROUGH, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||IVINGHOE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2008 11:27AM