Monument record 0469600000 - BOWER WOOD
- Ancient Monument 1017478: MOATED SITE IN BOWER WOOD, 560M SOUTH WEST OF BOWER WOOD COTTAGES
- Planning Notification Area: Earthworks of Medieval moat and fishpond in Bower Wood
Type and Period (2)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Dimensions - Length 0030 m Width 6019
Plan Form - RECTANGULAR
SMALL, RECTANGULAR, INTERNALLY BANKED MOATED SITE LOCATED ON A STREAM. NO OBVIOUS ENTRANCE. THE STREAM BED HAS BEEN WIDENED TO SE OF SITE & A SMALL DAM THROWN UP TO CREATE FISHPOND. BANKS WELL PRESERVED. POSSIBLY NOT MED, BUT ENVI REPORT SUGGESTS STABLE CONDITIONS/OLD WOODLAND REMNANT (B1-2).
FULL REPORT (B3).
Site visit undertaken in March 2000 resulted in 12 B&W photographs of the site which was noted as at risk from root growth and tree throws (B5).
Negative watching brief carried out by AOC Archaeology between March and June 2008 during groundworks for construction of adjacent motorway services area (B6).
Earthwork survey and condition survey carried out in July 2007 by Giffords and 15-year conservation management plan prepared. See report for detail (B7).
- <1>SBC4832 Unpublished document: FARLEY M E (BCM) APRIL 1980 (SEE SKETCH PLAN, CORRESPONDENCE ETC, FILED).
- <2>SBC13696 Unpublished document: C Reid. 1980. ENVIRONMENTAL REPORT.
- <3>SBC12501 Article in serial: M J Rains. 1981. 'A MOATED SITE AT BOWER WOOD, BEACONSFIELD', IN RECS OF BUCKS 23 PP125-128. Vol 23.
- <4>SBC13951 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1997. SCHEDULING LIST OF INSPECTORATE OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS.
- <5>SBC20093 Photograph: Sandy Kidd. 2000. 12 B/W photographs of Bower Wood Moat.
- <6>SBC23335 Unpublished document: AOC Archaeology. 2008. Motorway Service Area at Burtley Wood, Beaconsfield: An Archaeological Watching Brief Report.
- <7>SBC23360 Unpublished document: Gifford Consulting Engineers. 2009. Burtley Wood, Beaconsfield: Conservation Management Plan for Bower Wood Moated Site.
|Grid reference||SU 95358 88492 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BEACONSFIELD, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13211)
- Event - Survey: Topographic earthwork survey (EBC16815)
- Event - Survey: Topographic earthwork survey and condition survey (EBC17168)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: 30035) (EBC17163)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2011 6:42PM