Building record 0465500000 - ST JOHN BAPTIST'S CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1158465: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval church of St John Baptist at Dorton
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1904, 12th Century to 19th Century - 1100 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Width 0009 Length 0021 m
ORIGINALLY AISLELESS NAVE & CHANCEL BUILT C12TH. C13TH SOUTH PORCH ADDED & SOUTH WEST WINDOW INSERTED NAVE. SMALL SOUTH AISLE BUILT C.1340. LATE C15TH UPPER PART SOUTH AISLE & SOUTH & WEST WALLS OF PORCH REBUILT. CHANCEL WIDENED SOUTH C16TH. WEST BELL TURRET ADDED C.1630. CHURCH RESTORED 1904 & NORTH WALL OF NAVE PARTLY REBUILT (B3).
Grade II+. Parish church. Originally C12, with C13 S. porch and C14 S. aisle, altered C15 and C16. Mid C17 tower built into W. bay of nave. Very much restored 1904. Coursed rubble stone, ashlar quoins and chamfered plinth. W. tower is timber-framed with weatherboard cladding and pyramidal roof. All roofs are tiled. Nave has restored C15 2-light cusped window with hoodmould at W. end, 2 1904 3-light traceried windows and a 1904 chimney to N., and a lancet window to S. S. door with moulded arch and jambs. Gabled porch with restored C15 double chamfered arch, and an earlier blocked light in E. side. S. aisle is gabled to S. and has moulded string below eaves. Restored 2-light window with ogee tracery at E. end of aisle, 2-light cusped window with hoodmould to S. Chancel has C16-C17 windows: wide lancet to S; 2 rectangular lights to N.; and small E. window with 2 arched lights. Interior: W. bay of nave has C17 timber partition with narrow panelled screens flanking arch to tower, and 2 arches above to gallery. C19 roofs, the nave with 2 original moulded tie beams. Altered stoup. Short S. arcade to aisle with 2 double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Wide similar chancel arch. Cusped piscina in S. aisle. Fittings: medieval S. door; font with C12 circular basin on later octagonal base,and fine cover of 1631; early C17 arcaded alter rails; other fittings C19. RCHM I p. 131-2 (B5).
- <1>SBC7529 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 1 PP244-246.
- <2>SBC15986 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 P48.
- <3>SBC12768 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP131-132.
- <4>SBC10400 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <5>SBC19811 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Boarstall &C.
- <6>SBC5561 Bibliographic reference: GAMBIER PARRY S UNDATED ARCHITECT'S SECTION DRAWINGS OF CHURCH IN BRO REF: PR 64/3/3 (COPY, FILED).
|Grid reference||SP 67890 13940 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DORTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2018 11:31AM