Building record 0453600000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH, FAWLEY
- Conservation Area: Fawley Green Conservation Area
- Listed Building (II*) 1125702: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Mary, Fawley
Type and Period (2)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1883, 12th Century to 19th Century - 1100 AD to 1899 AD)
- TOMB (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
Plan Form - RECTANGULAR
NAVE, C12, ALTERED. LATE C13 N TOWER, RAISED C16. CHANCEL REBUILT 1748 BY JOHN FREEMAN & FITTINGS & PANELLING BROUGHT FROM CANNONS, NR EDGEWARE. 1883 TRANSEPTS, N VESTRY & RESTORATIONS. FLINT RUBBLE & STONE DRESSINGS.(B1-7).
1633 WHITELOCK MON IN S TRANSEPT (B8).
Buildings report held at NMR (B10).
Grade II+. Parish church. Nave originally C12, altered; late C13 W. tower, raised C16; chancel rebuilt and dated 1748; 1883 transepts,N. vestry and restorations. Flint with stone dressings, tiled roofs. W. tower has moulded parapet with shallow gables to N. and S., original moulded corbel table, and C19 angle buttresses. C16 single lights with chamfered semi-circular heads above and below corbel table; partly restored 2-light traceried window of clunch to W. over C19 moulded doorway; lancets to N. and S., the S. C19, Nave has 2 bays of C19 2-light traceried windows. Transepts have single lights to E. or W. and 2-light traceried windows to N. and S., the S. transept with cusped S. window, sill course and buttresses. Chancel has blocked S. doorway with bonded surround of narrow bricks, semi-circular arch, and brick imposts and keyblock. Large E. window with semi-circular arch and off-set brick surround. Above window is date plaque with numbers in tile ends. C19 vestry to N. of chancel. Interior: double chamfered tower arch on semi-octagonal piers with painted texts; C19 double chamfered arches to transepts; semi-circular chancel arch with narrow chamfer and billet moulding. Chancel has modillion cornice and E. bay articulated with Ionic pilasters. Early C18 panelling from chapel at Canons, made for the Duke of Chandos, the E. bay panels enriched with mouldings. 4 panels along E. wall have carved gilt drops of fruit and flowers. Similar spray of trefoil foliage above altar. Communion rail with turned balusters is also from Canons, as are pulpit and reading desk. Pulpit has moulded raised and fielded panels, richly carved base and cornice, and corner drops with winged cherub heads. Simpler reading desk with richly carved frieze. Chair of same date in chancel, mid C17 chair in nave. Front pews in nave and S. transept pews have ornamental scrolls of c.1700. Late C19 nave seating and stained glass. Armorial glass of 1635 from Phyllis Court, Henley, in tower lancets. Memorial window in vestry by John Piper 1976. Monument to Sir James Whitelock d.1620 and wife Elizabeth d. 1631, in S. transept, with recumbent white marble effigies in surround with open pediment on Tuscan columns. Small carved figures of Fame and Peace on pediment. Cartouche in nave to Philip and Elizabeth Hilfiar c.1719. Chancel rebuilt by John Freeman of Fawley Court, transepts added by William Mackenzie, also of Fawley Court, both families with a mausoleum in churchyard. RCHM I p.155-6 (B9).
Included in English Heritage's Monuments at Risk Register in 2011. Condition described as 'Poor' due to stone decay to tower, uneven tiling to south transept and defective leadwork. Priority D: 'Slow decay, solution agreed but not yet implemented' (B12).
- <1>SBC7295 Bibliographic reference: LANGLEY T 1797 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF HUNDRED OF DESBOROUGH PP196-207.
- <2>SBC7788 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP562-567.
- <3>SBC5691 Bibliographic reference: GIBBS R 1889 STATE OF BUCKS PARISH CHURCHES IN C16 & C17, RECSOFBUCKS6PP248-249"".
- <4>SBC20462 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1925. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume III. Volume 3. pp41-42; Illustration opposite p40.
- <5>SBC12777 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP155-156.
- <6>SBC11703 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P134.
- <7>SBC11401 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARDS SU 78 NE 18 (FILED).
- <8>SBC6337 Bibliographic reference: HEAD L.M 1984 THE WHITELOCK MONUMENT IN FAWLEY CH URCH, RECSOFBUCKS26PP117-123"".
- <9>SBC3985 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1986. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKS; WYCOMBE: PARISHES OF FAWLEY &C. p13.
- <10>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF083004.
- <11>SBC15186 Article in serial: Geoffrey Tyack. 1982. 'THE FREEMANS OF FAWLEY AND THEIR BUILDINGS', IN RECS OF BUCKS 24, PP130-143 & PLS V-VII. Vol 24.
- <12>SBC24032 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2011. Heritage at Risk Register 2011: South East. p25.
|Grid reference||SU 75352 86715 (point)|
|Civil Parish||FAWLEY, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2022 3:18PM