Building record 0416900000 - ST MARY MAGDALENE'S CHURCH
- Listed Building (I) 1124721: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval deserted village, fishponds and Medieval parish church of St Mary Magdalene at Upper Winchendon
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (12th Century to 15th Century - 1100 AD to 1499 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0027 m Width 0012
CHURCH RESTORED & RE-ROOFED C19. N ARCADE OF NAVE PROB C12 BUT COVERED IN PLASTER. S WALL OF NAVE REBUILT C.1150 & C.1200 CHANCEL REBUILT IN PRESENT FORM; C.1340 N AISLE & S PORCH ADDED. W TOWER EARLY C15 (B4).
Grade I. Parish church. C12; C14 north aisle and south porch; C15 west tower. Limestone rubble with stone dressings, the tower in dressed rubble. Old tile roofs. 3 bay chancel; nave of 3 bays with north aisle; south porch and west tower. Chancel has 2 east lancets, north and south walls with 3 lancets that have differing sill height. Traces of blocked door between left hand lancets on south side. Coped gable. North aisle has reset east window of 3 trefoil lights with 3 quatrefoils in 2-centred head. North wall has flowing traceried 2-light east window and at west and on west wall 2 trefoil light windows with quatrefoils over. Centre doorway with continuously moulded orders and label with head stops. Nave south wall has lowset lancet at east. Timber framed porch flanked by 3-light C15 windows with cinquefoil lights under a square head with moulded external reveals and label. South doorway of nave is mid C12 has semi-circular moulded head of 2 orders and shafted jambs. Left hand shaft enriched with spirals, the right hand with lozenges. Scalloped capitals, moulded abaci. West tower of 2 stages with diagonal west buttresses and embattled parapet. South east stair turret square in plan to lower stages, then semi-octagonal and octagonal above parapet with pyramidal stone cap. West doorway has continuous moulded jambs, window above of 2 cinquefoiled lights and quatrefoil. Belfry windows of 2 trefoil lights and a quatrefoil in a pointed head. Interior. Chancel windows have deep round headed rere-arches. Piscina c1200 at south east and pointed arched sedile adjacent. Cupboard in north wall has medieval wooden lining. Chancel arch 2-centre of one order, slightly chamfered to nave. Square jambs and moulded abaci. Nave north arcade of 3 semi-circular arches of one square order. No abaci or bases. Stoup to east of south door. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders dying into square jambs. C19 arch braced collar roofs incorporating some C15 head corbels in timber. Communion rails late C17 with moulded rails and twisted balusters. C15 screen in chancel arch, open traceried upper panels, closed lower. Pulpit C14 of 3 panels carved in one piece forming half hexagon with blind flowing tracery in two stages and embattled top, a rare survival. West half of nave has C16 pews with trefoil panel ends and embattled dado rails against walls. Font c1200 tapering circular bowl on modern stem. Cover uses octagonal Jacobean sounding board. Brasses. On chancel floor. Sir John Stodeley vicar. 1502. Monument. North east chancel wall to John Goodwyn 1558. Arch on shafts frame 3 brass coats of arms and inscription C17 floor slabs in aisle. RCHM I. 299. MON.1 (B7).
A collection of sketches of Buckinghamshire churches done by Charlotte Pigott, wife of George Pigott, squire of Doddershall in Quainton parish, in the early 1840s (B8)
- ---SBC20728 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 oblique AP by Mike Farley. SP74581426. Yes.
- <1>SBC7564 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 1 PP570-572.
- <2>SBC14429 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP441-442.
- <3>SBC16050 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 PP124-125.
- <4>SBC12835 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP299-300.
- <5>SBC9208 Bibliographic reference: MORETON C O 1929 WADDESDON & OVER WINCHENDON PP119 -128,246-248.
- <6>SBC10400 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <7>SBC19924 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Bucks: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Ashendon &C. p155.
- <8>SBC23373 Article in serial: Elliott Viney. 1991. Bucks Churches in the Eighteen-Forties. Plate 15a, p83.
|Grid reference||SP 74592 14495 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||UPPER WINCHENDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: ST MARY MAGDALENE'S CHURCH (Monument) (0416901000)
- Parent of: UPPER WINCHENDON CHURCHYARD (Monument) (0416902000)
- Parent of: UPPER WINCHENDON CHURCHYARD (Monument) (0416903000)
- Parent of: UPPER WINCHENDON CHURCHYARD (Monument) (0416904000)
- Parent of: UPPER WINCHENDON CHURCHYARD (Monument) (0416905000)
- Parent of: UPPER WINCHENDON CHURCHYARD (Monument) (0416906000)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2018 2:14PM