Building record 0403400000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH, EAST CLAYDON
- Listed Building (II*) 1289625: CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Mary, East Claydon
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1871, 13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 28m, Width 13m.
Nave, 48 X 22 feet, S porch, W tower 15 X 10 feet, chancel 28 X 14 feet, short S aisle, ancient font (B1-2). State of church in C16/C17 (B3).
Transitional S chapel, C14 chancel, C15-C16 W tower & alterations to nave. C19 N aisle, vestry, S porch. Much restored by Sir G G Scott, 1871. Rubblestone (Further description)(B4-6).
Grade II+. Parish Church. Transitional S. chapel, C14 chancel, C15-C16 W. tower and alterations to nave. C19 N. aisle, vestry and S. porch. Very much restored by Sir G.G. Scott 1871. Rubble stone with large coursed blocks to tower and chancel. Nave has lead roof, remainder tiled. Tower of 3 stages has diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and paired lights to bell-chamber. W. side has moulded 4-centred arch to door and 3-light cusped window with 4-centred head. Single light to second stage of N. side. Nave has plain parapet, lancet to W. of N. side, 2-light window with Y tracery to S. of S. side and clerestory of 2 3-light windows to S. S. door has 2-centred chamfered arch and gabled timber porch. S. chapel has lancet windows, one to W., 2 to S. and E. N. aisle has 3 bays of 2-light windows with Y tracery, and re-used C16 doorway with 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. Chancel has restored Decorated windows, 2 2-light to S., one to N. and 3-light to E. Vestry to N. Interior: double chamfered tower arch. C19 N. arcade with chamfered arches on octagonal piers. S. arcade has one Transitional arch, square cut with outer zig-zag moulding and moulded imposts. To E. of this arch is a C15 arched opening with carved head stops to hoodmould. S. chapel has C13 piscina and steps to rood-loft. Original moulded purlins and ridge to nave roof. Steeply pointed, double chamfered chancel arch with inner order on corbels with carved winged figures. Chancel has 2-light traceried window to vestry, and C19 piscina. Fittings: much restored C15 octagonal font; C17 communion table in S. chapel; glass in E. window 1887; other fittings C19. Monument: C18 marble wall monument in nave with flanking Doric pilasters and side scrolls, and crest of urns and shield. RCHM II p. 102-3 (B7).
At NGR (B8).
- ---SBC20717 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 Michael Farley oblique AP. SP74062556. Yes.
- ---SBC20718 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 Michael Farley oblique AP. SP73652538. Yes.
- <1>SBC7521 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 1 PP172-173.
- <2>SBC14408 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP357-358.
- <3>SBC5695 Bibliographic reference: GIBBS R 1889 STATE OF THE BUCKINGHAMSHIRE PARISH C HURCHES IN THE C16 & C17 IN RECSOFBUCKS6P256"".
- <4>SBC16129 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 PP31-32 & ILLUS.
- <5>SBC13015 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP102-103.
- <6>SBC11699 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P113.
- <7>SBC20017 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Bucks: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Dunton &C.
- <8>SBC10473 Map: OS 1977 1:2500 MAP.
|Grid reference||SP 74000 25534 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EAST CLAYDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13590)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2017 4:13PM