Building record 0032401000 - MANOR HOUSE,ASTON SANDFORD
- Listed Building (II) 1332899: THE MANOR
Type and Period (2)
- MANOR HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
Grade II. Manor house. C16, C17, enlarged by Sir G.G. Scott in 1867. Original house timber-framed with brick infill. Rubblestone C17/C18 refronting, then Scott block in red brick with plum brick bands and stone dressings. Old tile roofs. 2 storeys. Irregular south east front of 4 bays. 3 bay south west or garden front. South east front has 2 gabled right hand bays in rubblestone, left hand brick gable. 3-light casements with 2-light ground floor casement between. Timber framing to side and rear with straight braces. Large stack to flank. Scott bays have, to right bay, entrance with canted bay windows beside and cross-mullion window above. Left bay and left bay of south west front gabled with 2-storey canted bay window, vent slit to gable. Centre bay of south west front has arched door and cross-mullion window above. Right bay with 3-light windows. All windows to Scott block are stone mullioned and transomed type. Coped gables. Diagonal flues to stacks, 4 to stack between left bays of south east front, 2 flues to one at left of south west front. Further stack to C17 bay. Interior: C16 right hand bay has arch braced roof trusses in 4 bays. Left hand timber-framed bay queen strut trusses. Scott roof has collar inscribed 'Robert Rose, Builder, Haddenham 1867' (B5)
- <1>SBC7547 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 1 PP41-46/VCH BUCKS 4 PP8-9.
- <2>SBC12669 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P22.
- <3>SBC10400 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <4>SBC3504 Bibliographic reference: DEPT.OF THE ENVIRONMENT LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECI AL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST,1985 P7.
- <5>SBC19924 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Bucks: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Ashendon &C. p.7.
|Grid reference||SP 75520 07830 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON SANDFORD, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC136)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2009 12:57PM